Sunday 30 September 2012

Psalm 100

Unending faith!
        My pastor is an amazing man, and there is no one else like him!
        I don't even know how to begin this, so I guess I'll begin at the beginning! My pastor at the Roseburg Church of God of Prophecy is Steve David, but he is so much more than that to me. He is my friend, my "grandpappy", technically my 2nd cousin and my step-uncle? I've known him pretty much my whole life and even lived with him for a short time. He's been my pastor all but a short while, first in Albany then here in Roseburg. I love him and his family dearly and so appreciate everything they've done for me.
         This year he's gone through some health complications and long story short is diagnosed with cancer. He's now on a regiment of one week on, one week off of chemo for six months. He's just starting his off week of his second chemo treatment.
         His never ending faith and trust in God is unbelievable. Not once has he doubted God's plan for him. After his first surgery when he found out he'd still have to go through cancer treatments, instead of wavering and being angry, he said that "God must have a plan for his chemo doctor". He knows God is going to reach somebody through his sickness, but he doesn't know who, so he just waits and trusts in the Lord.
         Earlier this month he preached a message, just before he started his first chemo treatment, about how it's totally worth it to go through trials if it means we'll reach someone for God, whether it be family, friends or even a stranger. If they can look at him and see his peace in this situation, surely that'll turn someone's eyes to Him. He had us all crying of course.
         This morning, after doing chemo just this last Monday through Wednesday, he preached another message. He just won't give up and rest! Today he preached on Psalm 100. He spoke about how we make a joyful noise to God in ALL things, no matter the situation. That we need to serve the Lord with GLADNESS in every crisis and every joyful time as well.
         I am just amazed by him every day, and I am so proud and grateful that he is MY pastor.

"That means even with cancer I can glorify God."
"I'd rather die believing that my God is a healer, than become bitter and angry and die anyway!"

What an example to everyone. I can't wait to see what God does through Steve.

"[Love] bears all things, hopes all things, believes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.
1 Corinthians 13 : 7-8a
 

No comments:

Post a Comment